Write Articles to Help Get Your Book Published, Build Platform, & Promote Your Work.
The Book Doctors are proud to announce we’re starting an exciting new partnership with Shawna Kenney, journalist, author, writer, coach and teacher.
We regularly tell our clients that writing and publishing short pieces is a great way to build your brand and resume, get your work into the world, prove to a publisher that there’s an audience for your work, become a better writer, and publicize your book when it comes out.
We’ve brought Shawna onto the team to show you how to craft and shape a short piece, how to research and find the appropriate editors, and how to query magazines, newspapers, online publications of every stripe, and literary markets. Then we can show you how to leverage your published piece into attracting agents and/or landing a book deal.
- Walk you through her 3-part pitch formula
- Take the guesswork out of sending work to literary and commercial markets
- Share successful query and pitch letters
- Find current calls for submissions and writers’ guidelines
- Offer ideas and resources for finding the right home for your writing
- Shape a memoir chapter into a memoir-adjacent personal essay
- Turn your expertise into salable service pieces
- Revamp your bio or book proposal
Shawna Kenney wrote the award-winning memoir, I Was a Teenage Dominatrix (Last Gasp), co-authored Imposters (Mark Batty Publisher), edited the anthology Book Lovers (Seal Press) and co-authored Live at the Safari Club: A History of Hardcore Punk in the Nation’s Capital (Rare Bird Books). Her creative nonfiction has appeared in The New York Times, Vice, Playboy, Creative Nonfiction, The LA Weekly, Brevity and more. Her essays appear in numerous anthologies, with “Self-Propelled: How Biking Steered My Writing Life” forthcoming in Moving Writers on Peter Lang Publishing. She lives in Los Angeles where she teaches in the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program and is a Contributing Editor with Narratively magazine.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a consultation with Shawna.